Microsoft announced the IIS Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Toolkit Beta – a brand new free toolkit that helps Web developers, hosting providers, and server administrators improve their sites’ relevance in search results by recommending how to make them more search engine-friendly. The SEO Toolkit Beta is available for installation via the Microsoft Web Platform Installer 2.0 Beta at http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx
Let’s try it out and see whether it will work with SharePoint. By the way Scott Guthrie has post of details of the toolkit here.
I added MSMQ to my WCF web service (which was running OK) by adding the following endpoint to the service in web.config file
I also added the following binding
Once I deployed the Wcf service on Windows Server 2008, I also enable net.msmq on the website using the following command
appcmd set app "localhost/service" /enabledProtocols:net.msmq
However when I try to point to the svc file from my browser I got an Error 503 instead. Removing the MSMQ endpoint and I have the service up and running again.
After that I have a look at the website via the IIS Management Console and I realize that http protocol is not enabled for the website anymore
A normal web app will have http protocol such as below
At last I figure out that the appcmd actually overwrote the settings instead of adding on to it. So the correct appcmd command is:-
appcmd set app "localhost/service" /enabledProtocols:net.msmq, http
And I have the site running again with both http and msmq protocol enabled.
Exabytes just row out their WS2008 hosting here. It comes with ASP.NET 3.5, PHP and lots of goodies. Check out the affordable package here.
Basically why you want to upgrade your website to Windows Server 2008? Besides taking advantage of ASP.NET 3.5 features, it’s also because of Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 modular architecture. Go here for more info.
I was setting up a demo for a talk today. Normally my VPC environment will be 1 Domain Controller (DC) and another server for SharePoint and Visual Studio.
Then out of sudden I went to disable the Kerberos service on my DC just to avoid the startup error created by Kerberos service. Note: VPC start up is slower and for DC, normally Kerberos service startup will timeout but eventually it will get started.
Without Kerberos, I still managed to sign in to my SharePoint VPC with no problem whatsoever. It is until I start developing a VS2008 SharePoint Workflow project, then I realize the IIS restart fails to response until VS2008 returns a SharePoint Server not found error.
It took me a few hours to find out what happen until I check my event logs and realize I notice my SharePoint app pool user try to start certain services but hit authentication error. This is when I realize it must have something to do with the Kerberos service being disabled.
Ta! Ta! Once the Kerberos service got started, everything returns to normal and my day got saved!